• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Resolve forward DNS using only IPv6

Started by cwasson, November 05, 2008, 01:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cwasson

I'm trying to test a single stack IPv6 client and how it might work with DNS.  I am coming in over a HE IPv6 tunnel so pointed my client at 2001:b48:10::2 (ns2.he.net).

This works fine for he.net addresses like www.he.net, ns5.he.net, he.net - but seems to fail for all other domains.   I see lots of postings about rdns, but not much for forward dns using only IPv6. 

Am I using the wrong server to resolve addresses outside he.net?   Can someone recommend an IPv6 nameserver which can resolve random domains?   I thought the root and tld IPv6 glue was there to make this work now.

Thanks!

Craig

broquea

The ns1-5.he.net name servers are not recursive and only answer for domains we host.

We have some caching name servers dualstack:
ns1.fmt.he.net
ns2.fmt.he.net
ns1.fmt2.he.net
ns1.sjc.he.net

piojan

Also: ns1.nyc.he.net
No on the EU side?

How about adding that list to an new entry at: http://www.he.net/adm/

also the nyc is not recursive if asked on ipv4

and the above mention dnses don't respond over ipv4 (at least for my ip):
# dig -4 he.net @ns1.sjc.he.net

; <<>> DiG 9.6.0b1 <<>> -4 he.net @ns1.sjc.he.net
;; global options: +cmd
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

Cheers,
PJ

broquea

I'll ask NY crew about that server, but it wasn't one I'm aware of that is a caching NS, or what hosts it allows to use it (or if there are even restrictions).

ns5.he.net is in the EU but since we only provide transit out there and not colo yet, we haven't installed a caching NS. We install those in our colo facilities.

"dig -4 he.net @ns1.sjc.he.net" works fine for me both at home on Comcast and obviously here at work.

Quote from: piojan on December 31, 2008, 07:13:15 AM
Also: ns1.nyc.he.net
No on the EU side?

How about adding that list to an new entry at: http://www.he.net/adm/

also the nyc is not recursive if asked on ipv4

and the above mention dnses don't respond over ipv4 (at least for my ip):
# dig -4 he.net @ns1.sjc.he.net

; <<>> DiG 9.6.0b1 <<>> -4 he.net @ns1.sjc.he.net
;; global options: +cmd
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

Cheers,
PJ

piojan

Quote from: broquea on December 31, 2008, 11:33:23 AM
I'll ask NY crew about that server, but it wasn't one I'm aware of that is a caching NS, or what hosts it allows to use it (or if there are even restrictions).
Recurses for ipv6.
"dig -4 he.net @ns1.sjc.he.net" works fine for me both at home on Comcast and obviously here at work.
So probably "restrictions" - as I didn't found a dns server from the above mention that did a look up over from my ipv4 - nothing to worry (83.16.0.0/13)

Cheers,
PJ