• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

D-Link native support of IPv6 announced--anyone tried it yet?

Started by drydog, November 18, 2008, 11:01:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drydog

D-Link is supposed to support IPv6 directly in some of their (newer?) routers.  They are: D-Link IPv6 support: DI-784 abg, DI-524 bg, DI-624 bg, WBR-1310 g, WBR-2310 g rangebooster, DIR-615 n. See p. 16 of
Ref: http://www.ipv6.org.tw/summit2008/doc/1-4-4.pdf

On p. 15, they say:
Not only meet IPv6 Ready logo requirements, but also upper layer IPv6 connection mechanisms:
  Static IP, DHCPv6 (Stateful), DHCPv6 (Stateless), PPPoE, IPv6/IPv4 Tunneling, 6to4 Tunneling, Autoconfiguration, Link-Local connection.

Has anyone tried one of these routers? If so, could they post configuration instructions for one of these?

I plan to buy one of these some day and try it out, but I may be more motivated if someone has already tried it with HE's Protocol 41 tunnel.
- Dan

starczar

I know this topic is quite old and probably abandoned, but I thought I'd offer what little experience I have on the subject.

I have been conducting experiments with a DIR-615 and have found it to be acceptable, at least in the early stages.  Some people have complained about some of the limited options in the configuration and the lack of an IPv6 status screen.  It could be frustrating for some.

I don't know if it is a problem with the DIR-615 or with my server, but one intersting problem that I have not yet resolved is that my testing Windows 2000 Advanced server box will not talk to the d-link router, even via IPv4.  I have tried DHCP and hard coding the IP addresses and nothing.  Just as weird is the fact that the Win2k server _will_ talk to both of the 2008 servers that are also conencted to the DIR-615.

dhorn2000

I was able to get my hands on a DIR-615 Rev C1 router here in the US, and have successfully setup 6in4 tunnel using the HE tunnelbroker.

The stability seems to be very good so far using the latest f/w from D-Link (been running about 2 weeks with no issues).  The only real limitation so far for the DIR-615 is that there are no settings for an IPv6 based firewall on the router, so all IPv6 hosts on the LAN side will need to ensure proper firewall logic using IPv6.

I also wrote a shell script that will update both the router, and tunnelbroker.net when my WAN IPv4 address changes.  It is suitable for running interactively, or via cron job from *NIX.

If anyone is interested in the script, I will clean it up a bit an post it for general use.

So far, I give the DIR-615 rev C1 with f/w 3.10NA a thumbs up. ;D

--Dave

cthrax

I have the DIR-825 up and running with only one complaint.  I'm getting 220ms of latency through the seattle tunnel server to an IPv6 enabled site versus 15ms for an IPv4.  Obviously the tunnel adds some latency, but 10x seems a little ridiculous.  My complete guess was maybe DLINK isn't using a very efficient IPv6 stack?  Anyone else have any thoughts? For the record, pinging directly to the Seattle tunnel server is only about 75 ms...

kcochran

CecilWard

@cthrax - Thanks for the post regarding the DIR-825

Did you manage to make any sense out of the long-latency-over-IPv6 thing? What happens if you traceroute to the IPV4 address of the far end of the tunnel? (And check that the route is what you expect.)

Aside from the tunnel you see, I suppose there could be other tunnels further away along the IPV6 internet for all we know. Or else it could just be that the route in the IPV6 internet is just plain bad, congested or tortuous or the ipv6 enabled site you looked at is not as capable as its ipv4 counterpart. So I would think that tracerouting in both IPV4 and IPV6 and looking at the intermediate hops is the key surely?

Another thought, could this be an MTU/MRU issue? (If using ADSL, could try forcing your own ipv4 MTU/MRU down to 1430 [for PPPoA], say, temporarily while testing, as that presumably levels the playing field between protocols.)

busterb

I would be interested in the script, dhorn2000. My current problem with the DIR-615's IPv6 support is that it is impossible to set the local IPv4 address correctly. The address changes every time the router reboots, and applying changes also causes the router to reboot. So, every time I enter the local IPv4 address and apply, it changes.

I guess I could but the router behind a different router, but that kind of defeats the purpose. If there was some way to say 'use the WAN ip' for the local ipv4 address, that would be great, but if your script can update without rebooting, also good. Or can you just use the LAN address there?

dhorn2000

Here the the shell script that will update the DIR-615 Rev C router's 6in4 ipv4 tunnel endpoint, and the tunnelbroker.net ipv4 endpoint.

Dependancies:  openssl, curl, grep, sh

You need to edit the script, and set your personal information:

881-# = The UserID from the main page of the tunnelbroker (not your username)
955:tunnel_provider_user="xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
1011-# = The password (plaintext) from your tunnelbroker account.  This
1078-#   will be md5 encoded and only transmitted via SSL.
1132:tunnel_provider_password="xxxxxxxxxx"
1170-# = The Global Tunnel ID from the tunnel_details page
1224:tunnel_id="xxxxx"
1388-# = The cleartext password for the D-Link router admin login
1449:router_admin_password="xxxxx"
1479-# make sure that the silly graphical login image is disabled

returns:  0 on no change needed, and 10 on successful update, and 100 on failure

'sh he_dir615_update.sh --verbose' will show verbose status messages.  By default the script is very quiet, and only gives an exit code.
'sh he_dir615_update.sh; echo $?' will show the exit status code to the terminal.

The script is attached. (hopefully intact)

Good Luck.

--Dave

dhorn2000

Quote from: busterb on September 22, 2009, 06:42:48 AM
If there was some way to say 'use the WAN ip' for the local ipv4 address, that would be great, but if your script can update without rebooting, also good. Or can you just use the LAN address there?

Yes, you would think that there would be a selection listed for "use wan ipv4 address", rather than having to look it up, then change it every time in two places.  <sigh>  But for me, DHCP gives me a very stable lease (have the same ipv4 addr for over 3 months).  I run the shell script via cron every hour to verify that there are no changes, and I get a nice email from cron when the address gets updated (since the script exits >0 when updating the ipv4 addresses).

We should start submitting bug reports to dlink on these items, as that is probably the only way things will improve.

Let me know if the script works for your configuration, and what f/w revision and hardware revision you have.

BTW, what f/w are you using on your DIR-615 rev C ?  I have 3.11NA, and it mostly works with no issues.  There is a glitch in not starting radvd (stateless autoconfig/RA process) occasionally that I have not completely figured out yet, but I found a work-around to disable QoS <save settings>, enable QoS <save settings>.  Go figure. 

I recommend enabling remote syslog so you can look at the router logs without going through the router web gui.

--Good Luck

-_Dave H

ssorel

I am currently using a DIR-615 Rev. C.  I bought it from newegg.com This month for $40. A great router, and the IPv6 Works flawless with Tunnelbroker.net.... I had a problem with the out of box firmware not starting the radvd to setup stateless autoconfig... Updated frimware from 3.10NA to 3.11NA and works flawless. Highly recomended over DD-WRT, mostly because even an advanced Linux guy as myself could'nt get the IPv6 Kernel modules to load properly on the newer build, so you have to use old, custom builds to get it working. Builds that have had Bug Fixes in later releases ETC, also posting on the forums didn't seem to reveal if the newer upcoming beilds would have better IPv6 Support out of the box. It's a shame. I hear better stories with OpenWRT but my Router isn't supported. So I packed it away in the basement, and got this puppy, working straight thru since the day it came in 2 weeks ago!

snarked

For the WBR-2310, which version - or both?  I have a relative who has version A1.

drydog

Here's an update to this thread I started 2 years ago.  Still haven't got a new router.  My IPv6 traffic is still served through my home server.

Here's a list of D-Link supported routers (or at least support is claimed by D-Link):
QuoteDIR-300 Rev. B2
DIR-600 Rev. B2
DIR-615 Rev. D3
DIR-655 Rev. A1 and B1
DIR-685 Rev. A2
DIR-852 Rev. A1
DIR-865 Rev. A1
This list is from
http://yorickdowne.wordpress.com/2010/02/26/ipv6-at-home-or-office-part-4-0-tunnelbroker-net-ipv6-routers/

Here's another thread about setting up D-Link DIR-615 on HE's 6in4 tunnel:
http://www.tunnelbroker.net/forums/index.php?topic=709.0

I'm thinking of getting the DIR-655N.  It was highly-recommended at Fry's, as long as you don't need dual band N.  My guess (or hope) is the configuration is the same or similar to the DIR-615 at the link above.

Another link about configuring DIR-615 on HE's tunnel appears dead.  My guess is the employee moved on from HE and HE zapped all the personal webpages he had.  Anyone have the info cached?
http://broquea.corp.he.net/615/
http://broquea.corp.he.net/615/615-HE-tunnel.PNG
*Edit* broquea, thanks for restoring the files--this is a big help and the fewer sysadmin headaches (specifically, configuration uncertainties), the better :).

broquea

Uh, I still work here, I was simply cleaning up my files. I can put them back later :P

*edit* - there files are back.

drydog

I configured a HE Tunnelbroker IPv6 in IPv4 tunnel on a D-Link DIR-825.  I'm under the impression that all D-Link routers (the "newer" ones at least) support IPv6.

One major glitch is it appears router advertisement is broken. I have router autoconfiguration enabled in the D-Link router ("stateless", lifetime 30 minutes), but on both my Solaris and Windows 7 machines I need to add the IPv6 address and default route manually.  :(

Here's my HE configuration, followed by a screen shot of the D-Link configuration page.  :

Here's the D-Link DIR-825 IPv6 router configuration, under the Advanced-->IPv6 tab:
(Note: The 10.11.12.1 address is the INTERNAL IPv4 network address for the D-Link router.)

jimb

Hrm that's interesting.  Have you tried increasing the frequency of the RAs from 30 minutes to something shorter?  I know my radvd pops off way more frequently than that.  Seems to be about every five minutes.